Today Historic England published an update to their Heritage at Risk register – “an annual snapshot of England’s historic environment”. Have a look at:
".....from domestic buildings, to protected wrecks, archaeological ruins to industrial sites and places of worship."
In terms of categories under threat – and in order of risk:
2. Residential buildings
Though regionally priorities vary.
In summary, progress is being made, but the challenge is still very significant.
A skim through the South East register highlights for me
- The old Broadmore hospital which is planned to become a hotel
- The 12th century barn at New Manor Farm at Broughton
- The many at risk barrows in the Meon Valley, near Winchester
- No. 6 Dock, Basin No.1, Portsmouth Dockyard
- Brookwood Cemetery
- The Amberley Limeworks near Horsham
It really brings home the fact that there is just so much out there!